Monday, August 31, 2020

Sweet Science - Caramel Caramel Corn

Caramel Caramel Corn - Caramel Corn flavored Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl

Today, I try the second of the four State-Fair-themed flavors from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream.  This one is called Caramel Caramel Corn (instagram link here).  The name of the flavor is not a typo, there are two caramel's in a row there.  The flavor is "Caramel"-"Caramel Corn".  "Caramel Corn" (think Cracker Jack) is the flavor of the base while the leading "Caramel" means that there is a swirl of salted caramel sauce.  I love Sweet Science's salted caramel sauce, so that part I am really looking forward to.  The idea of a popcorn-flavored base sounds intriguing as well.  It reminds me of my recent review of Jeni's Sun-Popped Corn flavor.  Let's check this out!

Removing the lid, I see quite a bit of the salted caramel swirl right on top!  The caramel-corn base has an off-white beige color.  Digging in, the salted caramel swirl is delicious.  This is one of my favorite mix-ins out there -- of any brand.  It is right up there with Graeter's chocolate chips.  Focusing in on the base, I actually don't really taste caramel corn in it.  It is still a good quality ice cream, but either the flavor is not very strong or it is simply overpowered by the salted caramel swirl.

I have mixed feeling about this pint.  The salted caramel swirl still makes it incredibly delicious, but the caramel corn flavor didn't come out very strong -- at least not in the batch that produced my pint.  So, I still greatly enjoyed it, but it was not all that different than their Salted Caramel Swirl flavor.  The Jeni's Sun-Popped Corn really did create the flavor of popcorn in an ice cream base.  Here, the popcorn flavor in the ice cream is not that noticeable which makes it just a vehicle for their amazing swirl.  Perhaps it is a fun substitute for Salted Caramel Swirl during fair time, but not more than that.







No comments:

Post a Comment