Sunday, August 23, 2020

Bebe Zito - Thai Tea Crunch

Thai Tea Crunch - Thai Tea Ice Cream with Cocoa Brittle Pieces

I returned to the new Bebe Zito scoop shop in the Wedge neighborhood of Minneapolis and picked up a few more pints to try.  I wrote more on Bebe Zito in my first review of their ice cream earlier this summer.  Today's flavor is called Thai Tea Crunch.  Since my last purchase from them, Bebe Zito has added an ingredient list to their cartons and flavor page with more detailed flavor description page on their website.  That's awesome because now I know exactly what is in each pint.  The base is flavored with Thai Tea.  I have had a Thai tea base before from Coolhaus.  Thai tea is a brewed tea that is sweetened with sugar and condensed milk.  I found a post from earlier this year on Instagram where Bebe Zito asked readers if they should add a mix-in to this base and it appears that they decided to do so.  Brittle pieces made with cocoa have been added.  Let's dig in!

Removing the lid, the Thai tea has a bright orange color -- almost the same color as pumpkin.  A couple of the brittle mix-ins can be seen right away as well.  Digging in, the tea-flavored base is delicious.  It has excellent tea flavor and is sweetened just the right amount.  The brittle pieces are dispersed throughout the pint.  Some of them are half-melted.  That can happen when toffee or brittle is suspended in ice cream and I actually like that effect.  So the pieces are not too crunchy and have a bit of a caramel-like flavor (more caramel than chocolate).  There are not as many brittle pieces as I expected.  As mentioned in the instagram post above, Bebe Zito created a simple Thai tea base ice cream first and added the mix-in later.  I am guessing they did not want so many mix-ins as to distract from the excellent tea-flavored base.

I enjoyed this Thai-tea-themed flavor from Bebe Zito quite a bit.  The focus here is on the Thai tea flavor and not the mix-ins, but that is OK because the Thai tea base is excellent.  Lovers of Thai tea will want to check this out.





No comments:

Post a Comment