Monday, September 30, 2019

Coolhaus - Thai Town Crunch

Thai Town Crunch - Thai Tea Ice Cream with White Chocolate Covered Fortune Cookies
For today's flavor, I return to the Culver-City based Coolhaus brand for their Thai Town Crunch flavor.  This is not one of the standard flavors that are available in my local Minnesota grocery stores, so I ordered it online and had it shipped to me.  The flavor is based on Thai iced tea which is a staple at most Thai restaurants.  Thai iced tea is a brewed Ceylon tea which is mixed with sugar and sweetened condensed milk.  It should be fun to see how this flavor translates into an ice cream.  Here, Coolhaus also adds some mix-ins -- white chocolate-covered fortune cookies.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the Thai iced tea base is a very bright orange color.  This is as orange as most pumpkin bases!  Also, I notice they have sprinkled a fair amount of the white-chocolate-covered cookies over the top.  It looks quite nice and is another example of Coolhaus giving a good impression right away.  Digging in, the iced tea base is delicious.  The color does seem to be a bit exaggerated, but it does have excellent sweetened tea flavor.  The white chocolate-covered cookies are not just on the top, they are distributed liberally throughout the pint as well.  They are mostly white chocolate -- not much cookie -- but they provide nice textural variation as I eat my way down.

This is a well-done implementation of a Thai iced tea ice cream.  The orange coloring is a bit over the top, but fun.  The mix-ins were decent.  I would have preferred a little more cookie underneath the white chocolate, but they still provided me something interesting to chew on while I was enjoying the excellent base.  White chocolate is a very neutral flavor for me.  It does not bring much by itself but it does not distract from the other flavors either.  Thai iced tea lovers will want to check this out.





No comments:

Post a Comment