Thursday, September 26, 2019

Coolhaus - Cereal Dreams


Cereal Dreams - Cereal Soaked Milk Ice Cream with Crispy Cereal Swirl
The ice cream for today is the fourth pint from my six-pint shipment from the Culver-City-based Coolhaus Ice Cream.  This flavor is called Cereal Dreams and is a cereal-milk flavored ice with with a swirl of cereal.  I enjoy cereal-based flavors.  Cereal goes well in milk, so it is natural that it would go well in other dairy-based products such as ice cream.  There is a often challenge with keeping the cereal from becoming soggy in the cream because it is not added right before you eat it.  It will be interesting to see how Coolhaus tries to deal with this.    I ordered this pint online and had it shipped to me, so I am not aware that this flavor is available in Minnesota.  If you are reading from other states, perhaps they have a wider selection of Coolhaus pints.  Let's dig in!

Removing the lid, the cereal milk base is bright white in color.  I can see some golden speckling in a swirl on one side of the pint.  I find that the golden speckling gets a bit denser the further I dig further down, but there are no larger cereal pieces.  The golden speckling is the swirl.  It tastes good, it reminds me of the flavor of a good generic wheat/corn flakes in milk, but I certainly would not say that it was crispy.  The cereal milk base has a very mild flavor by itself, but it accompanies the cereal swirl quite well.

This is a fairly straightforward and mild implementation of a cereals-in-milk ice cream.  The flavor is quite good, and I did enjoy eating it.  They solved the soggy cereal problem by grinding the cereal pieces into finer crumbs before swirling them in.  It provides good cereal flavor but no crunchiness or crispiness.  You can certainly enjoy this flavor for it's good flavor -- just know ahead of time how fine the cereal crumb mix-ins will be.







No comments:

Post a Comment