Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Sebastian Joe's - Danza di Limon

Danza di Limon - Lemon Ice Cream with Slivered Almonds
Today's flavor is another from the Minneapolis-based Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream.  It is called Danza di Limon.  It's a lemon ice cream with slivered almonds.  I picked it up at the scoop shop in Linden Hills a couple of weeks ago.  The name appears to be roughly Italian for "lemon dance" which sounds fun.  I love lemon and I am always looking for well-done lemon-centric ice cream flavors.  Here the lemon is paired with almonds -- a rather unique combination.  It looks quite interesting and I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Opening the pint, the lemon-base is a very bright yellowish white color which quite a lot of almonds visible right away.  I was not expecting that many almonds.  I have mentioned this before but Sebastian Joe's bases always have a dense and thick look to them.  Digging in, I taste the lemon flavor but it is a little more muted than I expected.  It's not a lemon-creme pie or lemon-bar type of base, it's more like a thick sweet cream with a significant twist of lemon.  The slivered almonds are so numerous that I often feel like there are nuts in the base, too.  The nuts are numerous enough that I often felt like I was eating a pistachio ice cream.  They are delicious and provide plenty of crunch. 

This is a fun and surprisingly nutty pint of ice cream.  I really like lemon, and the lemon is tasty here, but the lemon plays more of a supporting role to all the nuts.  It's quite good, but so unique that I'm not really sure what to compare it to.  If you see it in stocked in the scooping bins on your next visit to Sebastian Joe's, give it a taste.








No comments:

Post a Comment