Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Museum of Ice Cream - PB & P

PB & P - Peanut Buttery Ice Cream with Chocolatey Covered Pretzel Pieces & Peanut Butter Swirls
Today we return to the Museum of Ice Cream for the last of the new flavors that they released in 2019.  This flavor is called PB & P.  Everyone knows what PB & J is: peanut butter and jelly.  Here, instead of jelly, they add pretzels so they call it PB & P.  Searching my archives for "pretzel", I can see several similar flavors.  Several interesting combinations of chocolate, butter and pretzels are in there.  The one that looks the most simialr to me would be the other one which has a peanut butter base:  Talenti's Peanut Butter & Pretzel.  The Museum of Ice Cream brand is available in Minnesota from Target stores.  I bought this pint at their Saint Paul Midway location.

Popping off the lid and removing the extra foil, I see the peanut butter base is a creamy off-white yellow color.  A hint of the pretzel mix-ins can be seen from time to time and also some darker brown sections which appear to be the peanut butter swirl.  As I dig down into the ice cream, the peanut butter swirls appear to be mostly blended into the base  That is OK as it is still a good peanut butter flavor.  Then I encounter the chocolate covered pretzels.  There is a bit more chocolate on some of these pieces than I expected which is a pleasant surprise.  I was also impressed that the pretzels were really crunchy.  In fact, every third or so piece was super-crunchy to the point where I thought the pretzel was fresh and had not been immersed in the ice cream since the factory.

This is a very well-done implementation of a peanut butter and pretzel falvor from the Museum of Ice Cream.  I actually enjoyed this flavor better than Talenti's pint using the same flavor combination.  The Museum of Ice Cream got a bit of grief last year that their first batches of flavors were too sweet and/or sugar-candy based.  This summer's releases went for much more rich flavors such as malt and peanut butter.  It will be interesting to see which direction they explore in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment