Friday, October 18, 2019

Izzy's - Sugar Cookie

Sugar Cookie - Sugar Cookie Ice Cream

Today we return to the Saint Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream for a flavor called Sugar Cookie.  I saw the flavor on their flavor up page which I often check while riding the bus home from work.  I had not seen this flavor before -- I have not seen a similar flavor from other brands either -- so I figured that I should check it out.  Interestingly, the flavor is not listed on their main flavor page, so perhaps it is an experimental flavor (though they often say 'test batch' for those).  Anyhow, it should be a fun to see what this flavor is like.


Removing the lid, I see the base ice cream is a light off-white color -- the same color as a sugar cookie.  That makes sense!  The first spoonful tastes like a sugar cookie -- not just the sugar, but the cookie, too.  It tastes pretty good.  I do not notice any mix-ins.  As I eat my way through the rest of the pint, I only notice a couple of larger crumbs of cookies, so it appears that the cookies here have been ground into a powder before being blended into the base.  I noticed the same thing with their Norwegian Chai flavor.  The ice cream retains its smooth, rich homogeneous texture, but attains the flavor of the ground cookies that are mixed in very early in the churning process.

This ice cream very accurately re-creates the flavor of sugar cookies inside, that thick, creamy texture that I know and like from Izzy's.  It is a very simple pint, though and sugar cookies are the cookies with perhaps the simplest flavor, and the flavor is ground in so there are no chunky cookie mix-ins.  It's still great sugar cookie flavor so if you're in the mood for that, this is a great flavor to try.  If it is too simple, you might want to pair a scoop of it with a scoop of something else.





No comments:

Post a Comment