Tuesday, October 22, 2019

McConnell's - Honey & Cornbread Cookies

Honey & Cornbread Cookies - Honey Ice Cream with Cornbread Cookie Pieces
I ordered a shipment from McConnell's Ice Cream in Santa Barbara!  Earlier this year, I was lamenting that I was running out of regular flavors to try from them and had resorted to reviewing their vanilla ice cream.  But, I was fortunate to find a window of time where their limted-batch summer flavors and their limited-batch fall flavors were both available at the same time giving me five new pints for me to try.  So, I pulled the trigger and made the order.  None of these flavors are available locally in Minnesota. 

I will start today with one of the summer flavors.  As I write this, the summer flavors have already been retired from their website for the season, but perhaps it will be back next year.  Today's flavor is called Honey & Cornbread Cookies.  I am starting to see more honey-based ice creams of late, but this is the first pint I have tried which includes cornbread.  McConnell's partners with San Marcos Farms Honey Company to get the honey used and have an interesting blogpost here about the partnership.  This should be fun, let's check it out!

Removing the lid the honey base has a much lighter color than I expected.  It is a little yellowish but otherwise very bright.  It could easily pass for a sweet cream or a vanilla. Digging in, the ice cream is quite thick and dense as McConnell's bases usually are.  I do taste the honey in the base.  It is a very bright honey flavor and not at all burnt or caramel-like.  Soon I encounter the small, nugget-sized pieces of cornbread cookies.  They do taste like cornbread.  They have a slightly grittier texture, but that's probably because they are cornbread cookies and not just cornbread.  The blogpost linked above is correct, honey does go pretty well with cornbread.

This is a fun and unique mixture of flavors from McConnell's.   The density of the cornbread cookie pieces was a little on the sparse side, but there was just enough of the mix-ins to keep me interested. Honey and cornbread do make for a good combination.  If you like cornbread and they bring this flavor back next summer, check it out.






No comments:

Post a Comment