Friday, October 4, 2019

Coolhaus - Hey!! Cupcake

Hey!! Cupcake - Vanilla Frosting Ice Cream with Rainbow Sprinkles and Cupcake Bites
Greetings!  I have reached the end of my shipment from the Culver-City based Coolhaus Ice Cream.  The sixth and final pint of the shipment is called Hey!! Cupcake.  The cupcakes here are based on a sheet cake with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles.  Looks sort of similar to a McConnell's flavor that I had a while back.  It should be interesting to compare and contrast those two flavors.  As with all the flavors in this Coolhaus shipment, I should point out that I ordered these pints online because they are not available near me in Minnesota.  You may find them in other cities (or if you also order from Coolhaus online) but I have not found them in the Twin Cities area yet.

On to the ice cream!  Removing the lid, I am created by a cool emoji.  This emoji is called "Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration" has been part of the unicode standard since 2010.  I always thought this emoji was giving me a double-high-five, but I guess it is just celebrating.  Peeling back the foil, I see the bright white color of the vanilla frosting base with quite a bit of colorful sprinkles on one side of the top.  The color has bled away from the sprinkles a bit and into the surrounding base.  It looks rather neat.  The ice cream appears softer than usual and it is.  I think it is the frosting mixed into the base.  It is not nearly as soft as the Aunt Gladys Yellow Cake Batter flavor which had alcohol in it to lower its freezing point, but it is definitely softer than the usual Coolhaus pint.  Digging in, the base tastes good but it is also quite sweet.  I can definitely taste the frosting in the mix.  The cupcake bites are quite good.  They are little cupcake nuggets which are chewy and provide a good contrast with the base.  The sprinkles add mostly color to the mix -- it is a beautiful looking pint -- but occasionally I noticed some extra sweetness from biting into one.

This is a fun sprinkle-cupcake-themed flavor from Coolhaus.  In the battle of the sprinkle-cake flavors I think I liked McConnell's a bit better.  The difference is that this pint is definitely sweeter.  You could easily get a sugar high from all the frosting that is blended into the base.  McConnell's on the other hand somehow put in enough buttercream to keep the sugar from getting to be too much.  They are both Southern California brands so if you live in that part of the country you could try both flavors and compare them for yourself.












No comments:

Post a Comment