Sunday, December 6, 2015

Ben & Jerry's - New Belgium Salted Caramel Brown-ie Ale

New Belgium Salted Caramel Brown-ie Ale - New Belgium Brown Ale Ice Cream with Fudge Brownies & Salted Caramel Swirls


A new Ben & Jerry Flavor!  This is a limited batch flavor done in coordination with the New Belgium brewing company.  Ben & Jerry's is doing a beer-flavored ice cream and New Belgium is doing a chocolatey salted caramel beer. 


Similar to this summer's "Save Our Swirled" flavor, the proceeds go to a climate-change related charity.  There is more information at the Ben & Jerry's site:


It is funny that they make you enter your date of birth before entering the page.  I double-checked with other alcohol-selling websites such as Budweiser and Coors.  Annoyingly, you have to repeat this process every time go back to the webpage.  You'd think that Ben & Jerry's would know about browser cookies since they have so many cookie-related mix-ins in their ice cream.  (*groan*)   I am not familiar with New Belgium Ale -- though I must admit I'm not much of a beer aficionado.  I am more of a margarita guy.

Opening the pint, you see that the brown ale ice cream base has a very light beige color and some of caramel swirls and brownie bites are visible on the top.  You'll notice that I was so excited to dig in that I forgot to take a picture right after opening but I think enough of the very top is visible in the picture that I did take.  Digging into the pint, you do really taste the beer in the ice cream.  Checking the ingredients, sure enough it reads "Beer (Water, Malted Barley, Hops, Yeast)".  I don't know if its the barley or the hops that I tasted (or perhaps both) but it has the same kind of back-of-the-throat bite that a beer gives you.  I couldn't tell if it had any alcohol in it.  The carton did not explicitly mention that it did, but I imagine that even if it did it was not very much. 

As always, the chocolate brownies are excellent.  Its been mentioned so many times, but it is a marvel how they keep them soft, chewy and flavorful while being frozen in a pint of ice cream.  The salted caramel was also quite good.  I liked it better here than in the 'salted caramel core' flavor.  There is was a bigger core of salted caramel and blondies were used instead of brownies.  Unlike the brownies, there is a freezing issue with the blondies.

I did enjoy this pint more than I expected.  I'm not really a beer guy, but the bitterness of the ale actually complements the sweetness of the ice cream and its mix-ins.  Plus, chocolate & caramel is always a good combination.  I imagine there may be a wide range of reactions to a beer-flavored ice cream.  Beer lovers might go 'yes!' while others might go 'yech!'.  If your curious and not averse to the idea, then I'd give it a try.  Its worth it just for the caramel and brownies in my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment