Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Steve's - Blackberry Crumble


Blackberry Crumble - Vanilla Ice Cream with Blackberry Jam and a Cinnamon-Oat Streusel
 Today, we return to Steve's for their Blackberry Crumble flavor.   This is another "pie flavor" where a fruit mix-in is blended together with some crust-like mix-in.  Some flavors use a graham cracker swirl, here we have a cinnamon oat streusel added into the mix.  I haven't had an ice cream with a blackberry mix-in yet, so I was looking forward to this flavor.

Removing the lid shows the vanilla base with splotches of purple from the blackberry jam.  Eating my way down into the pint, I notice that the pint is not very well mixed.  Much of the pint is simply vanilla ice cream while the blackberry and streusel appear to be hugging the sides of the container.  You can see this in the pictures that I took.  I had to eat over half a pint of vanilla ice cream before I could take a decent photo of the blackberry mix-in.  When there was blackberry in the spoon, it was quite flavorful and the streusel performed its crust-simulation admirably.

The ingredients of a good pint of ice cream were all there, but I cannot overlook the mixing problem that Steve's has here.  So much of this pint was just plain vanilla ice cream.  If you do love blackberry pie, you could take a gamble and hope that your pint is better blended, but I'll probably stick with one of the other fruit pie implementations out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment