Friday, April 22, 2016

Three Twins - Lemon Cookie

Lemon Cookie - Lemon Ice Cream with Vanilla Sandwich Creme Cookies

Recently, my regular grocery store started carrying a new brand of premium pints called Three Twins, so I figured I would give it a shot.  Three Twins was founded by Neal Gottlieb in San Rafael, California about ten years ago.  There's a fun story behind the name.  At the time of the company's founding, Neal was living with his twin brother Carl and Carl's wife Liz.  Liz was herself also a twin so they named their apartment "three twins".  Neal decided that would also be a cool name for his new ice cream business as well.  For the first flavor of this new brand, I decided to try Lemon Cookie.  Lemon is one of my favorite flavors and it is so rarely found in ice cream.  The mix-in here is vanilla sandwich cookies.  I prefer this time of sandwich cookie over Oreos.

Taking off the lid shows the pale yellow color of the lemon base with hints of the cookie mix-ins below.  Eating my way into the pint, the lemon flavor was noticeable in the base but it was not too strong.  Like other citrus-based flavors, it was a bit on the icy side, not very creamy.  Still tasty though.  The cookie pieces were fairly numerous.  I mainly tasted the cookies and not the creme filling (if there was any).  It tasted pretty good, though.

A unique and successful pint.   Citrus bases are indeed tricky and they often do come out icy like this pint did.  I'm now curious about what using lemon curd mix-in within a vanilla base would be like -- similar to the previous tangerine flavor.  Still, lemon lovers will want to try this out because it is hard to find a lemon ice cream which is not a sherbet or a sorbet.





No comments:

Post a Comment