Friday, November 25, 2016

Ample Hills - They Scoop Gilmores, Don't They?



They Scoop Gilmores, Don't They? - Coffee (of course) chocolate pudding ice cream (because Emily is trying after all) but oy, with the snickerdoodles already-- topped with pink [Pop Tart] sprinkles.


The pop culture event this holiday weekend is the Gilmore Girls "revival" on Netflix.  It turns out that the Brooklyn-based Ample Hills creamery has a limited batch flavor to honor this occasion.  To be honest, I never watched Gilmore Girls during its original run -- I may have caught part of an episode once or twice -- but years later I'm surprised at how much of a cult following it has.  Although I was not part of the cult, I appreciate watching others getting excited about things, so I am happy to join in at least for the ice cream part.  This does look like an interesting flavor.  A coffee-chocolate pudding base with snickerdoodle cookie and pop-tart sprinkle mix-ins.  Evidently, Gilmore Girl aficionados know the episode being referenced by every ingredient, which is fun.  Anyhow, I am anxious to dig in.


Removing the lid shows the dark brown color of the coffee-chocolate base with some cookie pieces visible and some red sprinkles also visible on the top.  Eating my way into the pint, the base is very thick and creamy.  I can really tell that it is a pudding base and not just flavored ice cream.  The chocolate flavor is fairly rich and I did notice some coffee in the mix but nothing overwhelmingly strong.  As mentioned in previous reviews, coffee and chocolate have similar active ingredients so they naturally go well together.  The snickerdoodle mix-ins were dispersed randomly through the pint.  They were soft and chewy and provided an occasional cinnamon-laced respite from the chocolatey base.  The sprinkles provided a mostly visual accent -- you could see specks of red in the chocolate from time to time but I did occasionally get a sugary kick from biting into one.

I did enjoy this flavor quite a bit.  Even if you are not a Gilmore Girls fan, a thick chocolatey pint is good eating while binge-watching whatever your favorite TV show happens to be.  But, if you happen to be a fan, then you'll no doubt appreciate the references as well.





1 comment:

  1. If you could design an ice cream for a favorite show, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete