Friday, December 23, 2016

Izzy's - Maple Nut

Maple Nut - Maple Syrup Ice Cream with Salty Walnuts
I am in Minnesota for the holidays so I am again sampling the local brands of ice cream.  Izzy's Ice Cream is a Saint Paul institution so I had to check their first.  I found a pint of Maple Nut and decided to give it a try as I have not reviewed too many maple-syrup based flavors in the past.

Removing the lid shows a light creamy color to the base.  Maple syrup does not evidently add too much of its own color into the mix.  The worry with a maple syrup base is that its flavor won't stick out either but digging in, I could taste it.  It was not too strong and checking the ingredient list on the side of the carton confirms that there is also some vanilla in the mix as well, but a distinct maple flavor was in there.  Dispersed throughout the pint were the walnut mix-ins.  The walnuts had their skins still on and much of the unique flavor of the walnut is in the skins.  Often the walnut skins are too bitter, but here there appeared to be some maple syrup mixed in.  It was a good combination.

I enjoyed this pint.  It was simple, basic and well done but the walnut skins added just enough flavor to prevent the pint from being boring.   I think this would be a good fall flavor, so perhaps I am eating it a couple of months too late in the year than I should be but I still enjoyed it. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment