Monday, March 2, 2015

Ben & Jerry's - Boston Cream Pie


Boston Cream Pie - Boston Cream Pie Ice Cream with Yellow Cake Pieces, Fudge Flakes & Swirls of Pastry Cream.

Ben & Jerry's Boston Cream Pie is one of the flavors that I have had multiple times.  I am a big fan of custard-filled donuts and this pint reminds me of those.  Taking off the lid, you immediately notice the yellow tinge of the base ice cream.  "Boston Cream" is basically a form of vanilla custard and right from the first spoonful you notice a strong custard flavor.  Syrupy yellow swirls are evident as well.  That is the pastry cream.  I was expecting more of a frosting-like consistency instead of a gooey/syrupy consistency but it was still good.  It was roughly the same custardy flavor as the base ice cream but perhaps a bit sweeter.  I had to dig a bit to find the yellow cake pieces as they were not near the top.  The cake pieces were not very moist -- wet even.  They seemed to have been soaked in the pastry cream as you did get an extra injection of flavor as you bit into them.  Its very nice that the embedded bakes goods in the ben & jerry ice creams stay chewable -- they don't freeze.  The fudge flakes were not very numerous, but they did provide a small bit of chocolatey flavor from time to time as you periodically bit into one.  I actually have this pint when I am not in a chocolate mood as the custard flavor dominates the pint.

A successful flavor.  It is a very sweet flavor.  Those used to richer flavors based in chocolate or peanut butter should be prepared for the sweetness.  I have a bit of a sweet tooth myself, though, so I did not mind and I ate the entire pint fairly quickly.  For a similar flavor which is not quite as sweet, you could try Volun-Tiramisu which is a Target Exclusive Flavor.  Instead of a custard base, its a coffee mascarpone base and instead of soaked yellow cake pieces, it is cocoa-dusted ladyfinger pieces.  I've had that one multiple times as well.  :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment