Thursday, March 16, 2017

Ben & Jerry's - Oat of this Swirled


Oat of this Swirled - Buttery Brown Sugar Ice Cream with Fudge Flakes & Oatmeal Cinnamon Cookie Swirls

Today we review another of the new flavors that Ben & Jerry's has introduced in 2017, Oat of this Swirled.  This is perhaps the most anticipated of their new flavors because it marks the return of oatmeal to their product line.  Recently, Ben & Jerry's conducted a survey of the 'most missed' in their Flavor Graveyard of discontinued flavors.  The most missed flavor was "Oatmeal Cookie Chunk" which was discontinued in 2012 when they switched to non-GMO and FairTrade ingredient sourcing.  I regret to say that I never tried the old flavor -- once upon a time, I was a bit less adventurous with my ice cream choices -- so I won't be able to make a comparison with the old flavor, but I'll still be able to give you my thoughts.

Removing the lid shows that the brown sugar base is quite light in color.  Some of the fudge flakes are visible as well.  With the first spoonful, I notice the cinnamon flavor.  I am a fan of cinnamon, so I am liking this.  The fudge flakes fairly large in size and provide plenty of chocolate flavor.  Where is the oatmeal?  Well, I can tell it is there but it is more subtle than expected.  The cookie pieces are not think but they are ground into a swirl.  See one of the spoon close-ups below to see what it looks like.  It does provide some oat flavor which goes well with the cinnamon.

A long last, oatmeal has returned to the Ben & Jerry's line.  I did enjoy the oatmeal and cinnamon flavor but I think I may be a victim of high expectations.  I was expecting chewy oatmeal cookie chunks similar to they're chewy brownies or cookie but instead its a mild oatmeal swirl.  Still quite tasty but not 'to die for'.  If you were a fan of the old oatmeal cookie flavor, you'll want to check this out.  Is it a suitable successort to the old flavor, or does it fall short?
 




No comments:

Post a Comment