Sunday, March 19, 2017

Ben & Jerry's - Urban Bourbon


Urban Bourbon - Burnt Caramel Ice Cream with Almonds, Fudge Flakes & Bourbon Caramel Swirls


Today we review the last of the three new Ben & Jerry's flavors introduced in 2017.  First, I tried Truffle Kerfuffle, then I tried Oat of this Swirled and today's flavor is Urban Bourbon.  The main feature of this flavor is the bourbon caramel swirl.  Bourbon has been a trendy ice cream ingredient for the past few years so it makes sense that Ben & Jerry's would want to capitalize on that.

Removing the lid shows the brown color of the burnt caramel base with some of the caramel swirl visible right away.  As I ate the first spoonful the caramel base has a bit more character to it -- I'll buy that it was burnt.  The bourbon caramel swirl is what provide the distinctive flavor, though.  The bourbon is not too strong, but it definitely adds a noticeable 'kick'.  It reminded me of the caramel in the now-retired Coffee Caramel Buzz flavor.  Further down into the pint, the fudge flakes provided a bit of chocolate so that the pint was not too caramel-y.  I had to look for the almonds.  The almond pieces were quite small and get a bit lost amidst the fudge flakes which were larger and had a similar texture.  Nothing bad, though, I did enjoy the overall mix of ingredients.
  
Another successful new Ben & Jerry flavor.  This fills a niche in their collection of flavors.  They have sweet caramel, core caramel, salted caramel, this is for those that want a kick of bourbon whisky in their caramel.  Of the three new flavors mentioned above, I think Truffle Kerfuffle was my favorite, though I did enjoy all three.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment