Saturday, April 22, 2017

Baskin Robbins - Rocky Road

Rocky Road - Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallows and Almonds
Today, I am having another pint of Baskin Robbins.  This time it is the Rocky Road flavor.  Rocky Road is a classic flavor combination dating back to at least the 1920s, yet somehow I missed out on trying it during my childhood.  I finally tried it recently with a Haagen-Dazs pint.  I enjoyed it so much, that I figured I would try an implementation from another brand.

The top of the pint is a solid dark brown.  This is deeper brown color than the usual chocolate base.  I am not sure if that means that it will be a darker chocolate or not.  With the first spoonful, it is a thicker ice cream.  It is definitely chocolatey but not a dark chocolate flavor.  It was not too long before I start encountering the mix-ins.  Here, the marshmallows are actually marshmallows.  It is like someone bought a package of miniature marshmallows and stirs them while they were making the base.  Because of that, they were not gooey -- they kept the spongey-chewy consistency that marshmallows have when you eat them out of the bag.  The almonds provide a little bit of crunch but are not as noticeable as the marshmallows.

This is a decent pint.  Although it was fun to try another Rocky Road implementation, I must admit that I liked the Haagen-Dazs pint better.  Haagen-Dazs has their signature chocolate base which is top-shelf on its own and the marshmallow there is delivered in these gooey pockets of melted marshmallow creme.  The whole marshmallows here felt a little old-school do-it-yourself -- but Baskin-Robbins is an old-school brand.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment