Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Häagen-Dazs - Sea Salt Caramel Truffle


Sea Salt Caramel Truffle - Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream with Fudge Truffles

I was at Target the other day checking out the freezer case and was pleasantly surprised by a limited batch flavor from Häagen-Dazs: Sea Salt Caramel Truffle.  I do not see any evidence of this flavor on their website yet, so I must have gotten an early batch.  I can tell that it is new because it is using the new 2017 packaging and I can tell that it is a limited edition because it says so on the lid.  Intriguing!  I figured I had better grab it while I could and now I am looking forward to giving it a try.

Removing the lid shows that this is a caramel base -- no caramel swirls.  Some of the chocolate mix-ins can be see right away as well.  With the first spoonful, the caramel base fairly tasty.  The salt flavor is not too strong, but it got noticeable as I ate further down into the pint.  Sometimes a salted caramel base tastes like a Sugar Daddy candy.  That did not happen here.  It is basically a caramel flavor and the salt gave it a bit of dryness.  The truffle mix-ins were dispersed generously throughout the pint.  There's nothing complex about these truffles (no caramel or nut inside), they are pea-sized hunks of fudge.  The fudge is not crunchy or chewy.  I think crumbly may be the best word for them.  They were good and provided a solid about of chocolate flavor which complemented the caramel well.

This was a decent pint.  The limited batch and the word 'truffle' had me expecting something more complex but this pint is actually quite simple -- caramel base with a fudge mix-in.  Personally, I prefer salted caramel as a mix-in rather than a base.  This is still a solid implementation of a simple flavor, though.  If that interests you, check it out while supplies last.  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment