Saturday, May 20, 2017

Nancy's Fancy - Butterscotch Budino


Butterscotch Budino - Butterscotch Gelato with a Caramel Rosemary Swirl

Today, we return to the Los Angeles-based Nancy's Fancy brand for their implementation of a Butterscotch Budino flavor.  Nancy's Fancy is a premium gelato brand created by an LA restauranteur -- I went over this brand's history in a previous review.  Before today, I did not know what a budino was.  I guess it is an Italian custard or pudding.  Makes sense for a gelato flavor.  Italian custard for an Italian ice cream.  This is also the first time I have seen rosemary in a flavor.  I am looking forward to checking this out.

Opening the pint shows the beige color of the butterscotch base.  It looks like the color of butterscotch.  As I dig into the pint, it has a strong butterscotch flavor.  The texture of the base is a bit different than usual.  Oftentimes the texture of an ice cream will vary from creamy to icy, but this is not on that scale.  I think I would call this pasty.  Tastes good, though.  The caramel swirl was hard to find.  I could see it occasionally -- I tried to get a picture of it below -- and the taste wasn't always evident.  I think what happened is the caramel got blended in with the butterscotch.  I did not taste the rosemary.  The side of the pint says there was only a hint so perhaps its affect is there but too subtle for my taste buds.  The whole combination was quite good, though.

I did enjoy this pint.  This is basically a super-premium butterscotch gelato.  It should be treated as a homogeneous pint, though.  The swirl becomes part of the blend.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment