Sunday, July 23, 2017

Talenti - Roman Raspberry

Roman Raspberry - Raspberry Sorbetto with a Hint of Lemon

Today, I decided to return to the Talenti brand.  If you've every walked past the Talenti section of the freezer case, you'll know that two flavors stick out due to their bright coloring:  Alphonso Mango and Roman Raspberry.   I have always wanted to try one of them.  I have reviewed a mango flavor before, so I went with the raspberry.  A closer inspection after my purchase tells me that this pint is a sorbetto -- meaning that there are no dairy ingredients, just fruit, ice and sugar.   I did some searching to see if there was anything significant to the 'Roman' adjective.  Is it a variety of raspberry?  Is this sorbet popular in Italy?  But I could not find anything that did not reference this specific Talenti flavor.

Unscrewing the lid shows the bright red color of the raspberry sorbet.  You can see the slushy texture right away on the top.  Digging in, the raspberry flavor is quite strong, but it is not overly tart.  Some raspberry jam mix-ins have been a bit on the sour side.  Here they must have either used sweeter raspberries or they added enough sugar to balance this.  It was a good flavor.  The jar states that a little bit of lemon juice was added into the mix.  That was not obvious to me, but it is possible that helped to balance the flavor as well.  The flavor held up as I continued to eat the entire pint.  At no point did it become overwhelming.  The fact that it was a sorbet gave it the feeling like I was eating a frozen smoothie.

This was a fun pint.  A sorbet works well for raspberry.  The texture and the sour/sweet balance were well done here.  Obviously, you need to be a fan of raspberry to enjoy this but if you do, then go for it.  I am curious about what their dairy/gelato implementations are like now.  I may try their raspberries & cream or raspberry cheesecake flavors at some point.






  

1 comment:

  1. All of their raspberry flavors are excellent. Raspberries and cream is my favorite Talenti flavor.

    ReplyDelete