Thursday, July 13, 2017

New Orleans - Creole Cream Cheese


Creole Cream Cheese - Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream

Today, we look at another flavor from the New Orleans Ice Cream company - Creole Cream Cheese.  New Orleans is the brand that features a lot of flavors local to the New Orleans area.  I had not heard of creole cream cheese before, but it turns out that it is a thing.  It is a type of cheese made from milk and buttermilk which can be made is small batches.  It is not real easy -- you need access to "rennet" -- but it only takes a day to cure.  I was curious so I watched a video showing how it is done.  Will it make a good ice cream?  We shall see.

Removing the lid shows the the ice cream is very white.  So white, that it was difficult to take a good picture.  It hard to get contrast.  I kept reducing the light but then the flash would go off.  You can see in the pictures below.  White.  Digging in the ice cream is thick and tasted like cream cheese as you would expect.  There is occasionally a hint of sourness which may have come from the buttermilk included in the cheese but nothing major.  This just tasted like cream cheese ice cream.

It was fun to learn about the existence of creole cream cheese, but I don't think I would recommend this flavor for consumption by itself.  This pint seems like it would be one of the ingredients of a larger-scale New Orleans-themed recipe.  I bet it goes well with a tart fruit or alongside red velvet cake.

My grocery store only carries three flavors of the New Orleans brand:  today's Creole Cream Cheese flavor, White Chocolate Bread Pudding and Praline Crunch.  The Praline Crunch was easily my favorite of the three.  The ice cream is not super-premium quality like Jeni's, McConnell's or Ample Hills, but it is not super-premium priced like those, either.  I am a bit disappointed, though, because there are many other flavors on their website which look much more interesting.  Mississippi Debris, Lemon Doberge Cake, Satsuma Dreamsicle, Cafe au Lait & Beignets and more.  I'll keep my eye out to see if they rotate in any more interesting flavors.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment