Saturday, February 3, 2018

Graeter's - Cheese Crown

Cheese Crown - Cheesecake Ice Cream with Cinnamon Sugar Pastry Pieces and Fondant Icing Flakes
The first saturday in February is Ice Cream for Breakfast Day!  What better way to celebrate than to eat ice cream in the morning.  So, I went through my latest Graeter's shipment and looked to see if any of the flavors looked appropriate for a breakfast meal.  Lo and behold, I found this pint of Cheese Crown, an ice cream based on a cheesecake danish.  Perfect.  A 'cheese crown' is a specific type of danish pastry common to the Cincinnati area (Graeter's home city) which looks like a cross between a filled pastry and a cupcake/popover.  Greater's introduced this flavor based on these pastries in 2016.  I can't wait to try it out.


Removing the lid, the top of the pint looks almost bubbling.  Looks like it is a minor quirk of the hand packing.  It doesn't affect the flavor even on the very top.  The color pretty white.  Digging in, there, the base is thick and creamy.  I can definitely notice the flavor of the cheesecake.  As I continue eating, I encountered the cinnamon pastry pieces.  These are quite tasty and provide a bit of cinnamon flavor to offset the cream cheese.  Blended into the base ice cream are little pieces of fondant icing.  These are like the white drizzle on top of a breakfast danish pastry.  They're very hard to see against the white ice cream base.  What you notice is the occasional extra sugary flavor in your mouth.

A breakfast danish in ice cream form is the perfect way to spend Ice Cream for Breakfast Day.  Plus, I learned a new type of pastry.



 

1 comment:

  1. I found this pint in a NYC Whole Foods whole traveling for work. I wish it was available to me locally. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete