Sunday, February 25, 2018

Ben & Jerry's - Chocolate Shake It

Chocolate Shake It - Chocolate Malt Milkshake Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie-Covered Fudge Truffles & Marshmallow Swirls  

Today we return to the brand that started it all, Ben & Jerry's.  I review all sorts of brands now, but the original inspiration was to see if I could try all of the Ben & Jerry's flavors.  And I did -- at least all of the flavors that have been around since 2015.  It is always exciting when they come out with new flavors because that means I get to have their ice cream again.  For 2018, they've released a new line of "Truffles" flavors.  These flavors feature large, filled mix-ins.  They do not appear to have made it into the full rotation as yet, but after some searching, I finally found two of the three pints at a local scoop shop.  Today's flavor is called Chocolate Shake It.  The truffle mix-in here is cookie-covered fudge and the base ice cream is chocolate malt with a marshmallow swirl.  Should be fun.

Removing the lid, the chocolate malt base is brown, but perhaps slightly lighter in color than I expected.  One of the marshmallow swirls is visible right away as well one a peek at one of the truffles.  The chocolate ice cream is decent.  The malt flavor is noticeable if you look for it, but it is not overpowering.  Soon, I encounter the truffle mix-ins.  These are quite good.  They are each about the size of a marble.  Bigger than a pea, but smaller than a gumball.  I don't really notice that the coating of the truffle is made out of cookies, but I do notice all the fudge that squirts out when you bite into it.  Yum!  These reminded me of a fudge version of the filled mix-ins in my recent Graeter's pint of Chunky Chunky Hippo.  I liked them there, too.  The marshmallow swirl was decent, but not totally vital to the pint.  I suppose it plays a similar role to the swirl in Phish Food in that it makes for a softer pint that feels like it melting faster.  I like that effect.

This was a very good pint of ice cream.  These truffles are a great way to deliver rich and creamy mix-ins in a very natural way.  It will be interesting to see what effect this new line has on their core flavors.  As much as I enjoy the core line, it can be a bit awkward eating those pints.  Truffles can be dispersed much more evenly.  Or maybe they'll keep both lines, who knows?  I am looking forward to the other truffles flavors.




  

1 comment:

  1. I was a bit disappointed with this on my initial taste, but liked it more and more as I continued to eat it. I think some kind of malt ball would be a better mix-in that the truffles. They just didn’t wow me.

    ReplyDelete