Thursday, February 1, 2018

Graeter's - Chunky Chunky Hippo

Chunky Chunky Hippo - Toffee Ice Cream with Peanuts and Milk Chocolate Caramel Truffles
I ordered a six-pint shipment from Graeter's!  My local supermarkets do stock Graeter's flavors but only a few pints here and there.  I decided to do an online order of flavors which look good but I am not likely to find.  The first flavor of my six-pack is Chunky Chunky Hippo.  This is a fun flavor they do in limited batches from time to time to help benefit the Cincinnati Zoo.  It has a unique flavor combination.  It has a toffee-flavored base instead having toffee pieces.  Then, the mix-ins are peanuts and milk chocolate caramel truffles.  Sounds good!  Actually this pint was unique and fun enough that it is at least half of my motivation for ordering the shipment.  I can't wait to try this out.

Removing the lid, the top of the pint is a very light cream color -- almost white.  Some of the peanut and chocolate mix-ins are visible right away.  Digging in the toffee-flavored base was quite interesting.  I am used to toffee being hard and crunchy so I was curious as to how it would taste.  It had a buttery flavor with a bit of salt too.  It was pretty good.  The peanut mix-ins were peanut halves.  They were pretty good as well.  I like crunchy nuts in ice cream.  The star of the pint though were these chocolate caramel truffles!  They were not all that large -- perhaps a little larger than a pea but when you bit into them there seemed to be a ton of caramel inside each one.  They reminded me a little bit of Rolo candies but in a smaller size that fits inside spoonfuls of ice cream.  I would buy of bag of these truffles just to eat themselves.

I really enjoyed this pint of ice cream.  These chocolate caramel truffles are amazing.  It is a great flavor -- not just fun name with cool artwork on the carton. 







No comments:

Post a Comment