Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Sebastian Joe's - Coconut Cream Pie

Coconut Cream Pie - Coconut Ice Cream with Pie Crust Pieces
 

I stopped by the Sebastian Joe's scoop shop in the Lowry Hill neighborhood and picked up a couple of pints.  The first of those pints is Coconut Cream Pie.  I have had many coconut flavors, but I believe this the first time a flavor based on coconut cream pie.  Coconut cream pie is my mother's favorite pie, so I will think of her as I eat this (I hope she is not too jealous).

Removing the lid, the coconut cream base has the expected off-white color and I immediately see quite a bit of pie crust.  The crust looks a bit bready.  It is not the typical pastry flakes or ground graham cracker that other pie flavors use.  Digging in, the coconut cream base is lush and delicious.  Appropriately, it is much "creamier" than the usual coconut base.  Coconut often does well in non-dairy settings because it has its own cream.  I had gotten used to that type of coconut, but here I can tell there is a lot of dairy cream.  Sebastian Joe's does not provide ingredients so I do not know if it is added whipped cream or cream cheese or something else.  The effect is quite delicious.  The bready pie crust pieces work well.  The way they blend with the coconut cream base reminds me a little bit of bread puddings.

This is an excellent implementation of a coconut cream pie ice cream from Sebastian Joe's.  The extra creaminess is a fun change from the usual coconut base.  Fans of this pie should not hesitate to check this out when they see it in the scooping bin at Sebastian Joe's.







No comments:

Post a Comment