Thursday, February 9, 2017

McConnell's - Boysenberry Rosé Milk Jam


Boysenberry Rosé Milk Jam - Milk Jam with Boysenberry and Rosé Wine Preserves

This week, we return to the Santa-Barbara-based McConnell's brand for its Boysenberry Rosé Milk Jam flavor.  I hadn't seen this behavior before.  Some research has shown that they've previously had this in scoop shops and limited-batch releases and have now promoted it to their regular lineup.  I'm not sure what "milk jam" is, so I checked the packaging:



It looks like the milk and cream is heated up first before it is input into the standard ice cream process.  This is also the first pint I've had which included the boysenberry flavor.  Boysenberry is another cane berry hybrid - I've previously discussed the marionberry, though the boysenberry is an older cultivar and is more famous.  A boysenberry is the result of a complex crossing of blackberries, raspberries, dewberries and loganberries, the loganberry itself being a cross between blackberries and raspberries.  Anyhow, I am curious to see how this tastes.

Opening the pint, I see the light-colored base with a pinkish-purple tinge of boysenberry.  Digging in, the boysenberry parts are swirled more underneath that is first evident on top.  The berry flavor is quite good.  It is not at all tart like some of the other cane berries that I've had.  I did not specifically notice the rosé wine though perhaps it added something to the mix.  The base milk jam was soft, thick, creamy and delicious.  That said, I struggled a bit to see what was different about this than normal ice cream.  Was it a little sweeter as if it contained a bit of condensed milk?  Or was it creamier than the average McConnell's pint?  (sometimes McConnell's pints are so thick, that they have a bit of an icy texture).  Perhaps the milk jam helped mute what would otherwise be a strong berry flavor?  I'm not sure.  I don't want to complain because it was so delicious but I didn't notice the difference that much.  I switch brands quite a bit though.  Perhaps I'd have to have multiple scoops of other McConnell's flavors side by side to do the comparison.

All in all, I really liked this pint.  I'm a fan of fruit flavors and this was a very good mix.  Lots of berry flavor but without being too overwhelming or too tart.  Don't let my milk jam confusion above worry you, this was a very delicious pint.  Not a brands offer boysenberry as a flavor either.  So, if you're a fan of boysenberries (or cane berries in general) then give this one a shot.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment