Thursday, July 26, 2018

Coolhaus - Best of Both Worlds Vanilla

Best of Both Worlds Vanilla - Vanilla Ice Cream with Madagascar and Vanilla Beans

I got a shipment from the Culver-City-based Coolhaus brand!  They released seven new flavors for 2017 and I've only been able to find two of new pints in my area (reviewed here and here).  Coolhaus appears to be in the process of going national as I saw a bunch of pints on my trip to New York.  I did not get any on my trip because I felt like I should be focusing on New York brands while I was there.  I saw an ad on twitter for free shipping and decided to pull the trigger.  When the ice cream arrived, I noticed that it was shipped from Cincinnati.  Another sign that Coolhaus has gone national.

The first flavor I am having is called Best of Both Worlds Vanilla which is made with both Madagascar and Tahitian Vanilla beans.  I have written about the different types of vanilla beans in a previous review.  In summary, vanilla is indigenous to Mexico, but has been most successfully cultivated in French colonies (and former French colonies).  Madagascar and Reunion (Bourbon) are the where the original strain of vanilla.  This has the strongest flavor and works the best for baking.  A variety of the original strain is grown in Tahiti which has a sweeter aroma and is often used for desserts.  The couple of times that I have had Tahitian beans have been from Coolhaus.  I liked it.  It reminded me of the flavor of soft-serve vanilla (and I mean that in the best way).  I never thought of blending the two vanillas.  It should be fun.

Opening the pint I see another message in foil for me.  These are fun.



OK, after removing the foil, I see the vanilla base is speckled with lots of beans.  I am curious as to whether the specks are also of both kinds of vanilla.  I can't think of any ways of knowing, though.  Digging in, I immediate taste that sweet floral flavor of Tahitian vanilla.  I like it.  The texture of the ice cream is quite think but also a bit easy to mold.  Coolhaus is famous for their ice cream sandwiches where a mold-able texture is quite helpful.  The vanilla stayed tasty all the way to the end of the pint.  I am not entirely sure what blending with Madagascar beans does.  Perhaps it gives it a longer lasting flavor which is less dependent on aroma?  Maybe vanilla experts could weight in and let me know.

This is a solid implementation of a vanilla ice cream.  There are a million vanillas out there but not many of them include Tahitian vanilla beans.  That separates this pint from the other vanillas.    Since Coolhaus is going national, you might see this pint in your area soon.  If so, give this pint a try the next time you want vanilla and see what you think.









No comments:

Post a Comment