Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Häagen-Dazs - Midnight Cookies & Cream

Midnight Cookies & Cream - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie Pieces and a Chocolate Fudge Swirl


After much searching, I finally found the third of Häagen-Dazs' new Decadance Collections flavors for 2018, Midnight Cookies & Cream.  I was fooled by the fact that one of my local grocery store chains, Cub Foods, picked up the first two flavors (reviewed here and here) right away.  So, I kept going back to that grocery store expecting the third flavor.  When that didn't work I looked for other Cub Foods stores.  There I found the same two decadence flavors but never the third.  Finally, I tried the "Find in Store" link on the Häagen-Dazs flavor pages and after poking around I figured out that all of the Cub Foods decided to stock only two of the three new flavors.  I guess there is only so much room in the freezer cases.  Anyhow, the "Find in Store" link then directed me to a Super Target on the other side of the metro and I finally got my pint of Midnight Cookies & Cream.  It's funny, because I haven't done a complete survey of the Häagen-Dazs line, but I got drawn into getting all of the new 2018 releases and the fact that I was missing one of them for a few months was bugging me.  I guess if this is what is stressing me out, then life must not be that bad.  As I mentioned earlier this week, I went out and reviewed the standard Häagen-Dazs Cookies & Cream flavor to prepare myself for this pint.

Enough chatter, on to the ice cream!  The base ice cream is the expected brown color with lots of cookies pieces visible on the top of the pint.  The chocolate base is good.  Indeed, Häagen-Dazs is known for doing a very good chocolate.  The cookies are the same as in their straight Cookies & Cream flavor.  I will repeat the description here.  They are an Oreo-style chocolate cookie, but not specifically the Oreo-brand.  They are a bit softer and less crumbly.  Because they are less crumbly, you don't get the powdery crumbs that fully color the base of many cookies and cream implementations.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, just and observation.  You could argue that it is a good thing her because it does not distract from the excellent chocolate base.  The cookie pieces added extra chocolate on top of that.  I looked for the chocolate fudge swirl and could not find it.  Perhaps it had blended into the base?  Or it was soaked up by the cookie pieces?  I might have to have eaten spoonfuls of this, the chocolate and the regular cookies and cream side-by-side to see if either the base or the mix-ins were boosted with extra chocolate here.

This is a solid pint of ice cream.  Häagen-Dazs does chocolate bases really well and the cookie pieces were flavorful.  That said, the "decadent" label may have raised my expectations too much and then not finding an extra chocolate swirl left me mildly disappointed.  This is basically a companion flavor to cookies & cream much the same way that Chocolate Chocolate Chip flavors are companions to Vanilla Chocolate Chip.


Editors note:  this flavor has been renamed.  It is now called Triple Chocolate Fudge Cookie 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment