Friday, August 31, 2018

Milkjam Creamery - Let That Mango


Let That Mango - Mango Sorbet with Sticky Rice

Last week, I decided to make a trek back to the Milkjam Creamery in Minneapolis to pick up a few more pints.  Today's flavor is called Let That Mango and is based on the mango sticky rice dessert.  Let me start off by saying that "let that mango" is a high quality mango pun!  I am jealous that I didn't think of that!  The mango sticky rice dessert is popular in Thai restaurants.  Sticky rice is general is fun to eat, but it is especially fun in this fruity dessert dish.  I am looking forward to seeing how this pint turns out.

The first thing I notice even before I open the pint is that it is very heavy.  Opening the pint, I see the thick orange color of the mango base.  It is a sorbet (meaning that it is dairy free) which I think explains why the pint is so heavy.  This is solid mango!  Digging in, the mango flavor is quite strong.  I quicky encounter some of the sticky rice sections.  The sticky rice has an odd texture.  It seemed almost crunchy.  Sticky rice is chewier and has a tougher integrity than normal rice, but it usually isn't crunchy.  It seemed to get better as I continued eating, so perhaps this is a case of sticky rice not being something which freezes well.  This had a lot more mango in it than the usual sticky rice dessert.  The ratio here was several parts mango sorbet per part of sticky rice.  With the Thai dessert, the ratio is usually the other way around.

This was an interesting pint of ice cream.  I wanted to like it more -- especially because of the top notch flavor name pun -- but the sticky rice didn't mix well with the sorbet.  Also, I like Milkjam most when it is soft and creamy and this was an extremely dense pint.





No comments:

Post a Comment