Sunday, October 21, 2018

Humphry Slocumbe - Honey Graham


Honey Graham - Honey Ice Cream with Graham Crackers

The third pint in my recent shipment from the San-Franisco-based Humphry Slocumbe brand is called Honey Graham.  They sometimes refer to this flavor as "Harvey Milk and Honey Graham" as a version of the flavor was first introduced to commemorate Harvey Milk Day in 2010.  Harvey Milk was the San Francisco city supervisor and gay-rights activist who was assassinated in the 1978 -- Sean Penn won his second Oscar for played him in the movie Milk.  I like honey-flavored ice cream, so this looks like a promising pint.

Opening the pint, I see the off-white golden flavor of the honey base.  Several of the nugget-shaped graham cracker pieces can also be seen on top.  I can taste the honey flavor right away in the first bite.  It is pretty good and well-balanced but more subtle than I expected.  The graham cracker pieces are moist and chewy as opposed to crunchy.  I think they were allowed to steep in the milk and cream for a while before they churning and freezing process.  This is not a complaint, just and observation.  The graham cracker pieces tasted quite good.  As I continued to eat the pint, the honey flavor faded a bit or perhaps my palate got acclimated to the flavor more than I expected.  It was still tasty, though.

This is a solid pint of ice cream.  The honey flavor goes quite well with the graham cracker mix-ins.  As with the previous two pints in my shipment, the flavor levels were fairly modest and subdued.  This brand has a reputation for bold flavors!  This is a minor quibble, though.  The flavors are always well-constructed and balanced.





No comments:

Post a Comment