Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Izzy's - Cinnamon

Cinnamon - Cinnamon Ice Cream

Today's flavor is from the Saint Paul based Izzy's Ice Cream.  I feel I have been neglecting Izzy's compared to other local brands.  They have great ice cream and numerous creative flavors in their scoop shops, but their selection in pints is a bit limited.  I will have to see what I can do about that.  For now, I found a pint of Cinnamon ice cream at a local grocery store.  This seems like a good flavor for the fall season.  Let's dig in!

Removing the lid, the ice cream is a light tan color.  The flavor description I linked above describes it as 'sandy'.  I concur.  Digging in, the base is a wonderful creamy texture.  It is thick, but it scoops effortlessly onto the spoon.  The cinnamon flavor is unique.  It is a spicy cinnamon instead of a sweet cinnamon-and-sugar type of cinnamon.  The flavor has a finish reminiscent to the cinnamon in Big Red chewing gum but in a milder, subtler way more appropriate for an ice cream.  I liked it.  The pint has no mix-ins and the cinnamon flavor stayed flavorful throughout the pint.

This is a solid implementation of a cinnamon ice cream.  If you love cinnamon by itself, you should try this because of the interesting flavor.  Otherwise the lack of mix-ins means this flavor might be more ideal for accompanying a slice of apple pie.





1 comment: