Friday, October 19, 2018

Sweet Science - Pistachio

Pistachio - Pistachio Ice Cream with Ground Pistachios
The October season flavors from Sweet Science are here.  The first flavor is one I have reviewed before, Pumpkin Cheesecake.  It was good.  We're getting into my second year of following the seasonal flavors so we're starting to see some repeats.  The second October flavor is a new one, though, Pistachio.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the top of the pint is the appropriate green color.  Not all pistachios come out green, but this one is.  I checked the ingredient list here and it looks like they are using spirulina to help with the green color.  I have written about spirulina before.  It is an all-natural, extra-nutritious dietary supplement which happens to have a bright green color.  The perfect green food coloring for those who don't want to use artificial ingredients.  The next thing I notice about the ice cream is the texture.  Pistachios have been ground to a small size and swirled into the mix.  Digging in, I notice the ice cream is quite thick and almost dry.  The ice cream actually crumbles a bit as I scoop it and it is nutty enough that I have to allow the spoonful to melt a bit in my mouth each time to allow me to fully taste it.  It's not that it is frozen, it is just extra nutty.  The flavor is quite good and the chunks are about the size as the chunks inside a chunky peanut butter.

This is a very good and interesting pint of pistachio ice cream.  The incompletely ground nuts add a gritty texture and enhance the pistachio flavor.  It is one of the better pistachio ice creams that I have had.  I think I still like Ben & Jerry's the best for the whole pistachios in the mix but you can't go wrong here.





No comments:

Post a Comment