Monday, October 8, 2018

Häagen-Dazs - Java Chip

Java Chip - Coffee Ice Cream with Chocolate Chips

Editors note:  since this review was written, this flavor has been renamed from Java Chip to Coffee Chip.


Today is another Häagen-Dazs flavor.  A recent sale at my local grocery store has inspired me to fill in some of the gaps in my coverage of the Häagen-Dazs line.  I believe I have reviewed all of the newer flavors, limited batch flavors and also the more complex flavors, but I have missed some of the simpler flavors.  Today's flavor is Java Chip.  This is similar to their Coffee flavor which I had a couple of weeks ago but with chocolate mix-ins.

Removing the lid shows the tan color of their coffee base.  It looks like the same color of their simple Coffee flavor.  This time chocolate chips are visible right away.  Digging in, I experience the same coffee flavor as before.  The coffee flavor is not too strong and not too bitter.  Diehard coffee junkies might prefer something a bit more intense but this is a good coffee flavor.  The difference between this pint and their simple coffee base here is the chocolate mix-ins.  They use the same chips here as in their Mint Chip flavor -- thin rectangular chunks about a centimeter or less in size.   The chips work well with the base which is no surprise as coffee & chocolate is a natural flavor combination due to the two having similar active ingredients (caffeine & theobromine).

I liked this flavor.  This is the 'old school' coffee-chocolate combination in the Häagen-Dazs line.  That said, I think I prefer their new flavor Espresso Chocolate Cookie Crumble which in my opinion is a more interesting and unique combination of those two flavors.  But, if you're in the mood for something simpler then the combination of classic Häagen-Dazs coffee ice cream with classic Häagen-Dazs chocolate chips will do the trick.





2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite flavor, either as Java Chip or Coffee Chip. Some b-hole over at mashed.com claims that the former was great and the latter is crap. I didn't notice a change in flavor. Did you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...

      https://www.haagendazs.us/products/ice-cream/coffee-chip-ice-cream

      It does appear from their new flavor description that they've changed the recipe a bit: "made its famous coffee taste even better".

      I don't think I'll re-review. I'd probably have to have the old and new back-to-back and I'm not sure if that is possible. These types of recipe tweaks are probably not all that uncommon and whenever that happens, there will be people who prefer the old version.

      Delete