Thursday, January 24, 2019

McConnell's - Vanilla Grapefruit

Vanilla Grapefruit - Vanilla Ice Cream infused with Grapefruit

Today we continue with the Winter Collection from McConnell's Ice Cream.  I reviewed the first pint last week, on to the second pint.  It is another citrus flavor:  Vanilla Grapefruit.  This is actually my first grapefruit-based flavor!  I am quite curious to see how this turns out.

Removing the lid, I see the off-white color of the vanilla base.  I have not tried their straight vanilla flavor yet, but this looks exactly like you would expect a pint of vanilla to look like.  No hint of grapefruit quite yet.  Digging in, I taste the grapefruit right away.  There is still quite a bit of vanilla in there but a little bit of grapefruit goes along way.  As I scoop further down, I notice there are small yellow specks embedded in the ice cream.  I verify that these are pieces of grapefruit zest.  They are just peppered occasionally through the pint but a little bit can go along way with a strong flavor like grapefruit.

I really liked this pint.  Blending the grapefruit with vanilla is a great idea.  The vanilla keeps the flavor grounded -- and very creamy and just enough grapefruit is added.  It is refreshing and not too tart.






No comments:

Post a Comment