Monday, January 28, 2019

McConnell's - Winter Pear Crisp


Winter Pear Crisp - D'Anjou Pear Ice Cream with D'Anjou Pear Pieces and an Oatmeal Crisp
Today is the third and final pint from McConnell's Ice Cream's "Winter Collection".  It is called Winter Pear Crisp.  This is only the second pint that I've had that has included pear -- and the first pint was a sorbet.  This almost appears to be another pie-a-la-mode ice cream (like the amazing pint I just had) in that it has a fruit mix-in and an oatmeal crisp, but I have never had a slice of pear pie.  Recipes for pear pie do exist though, and I do like pear.  So, I am quite curious to see how this turns out.

Removing the lid, I see the base ice cream is very light in color.  Some evidence of mix-ins can be seen under the surface.  Digging in, there is a bit of pear flavor in the base, but it is mainly sweet cream (or perhaps some vanilla, they don't list ingredients for all of the seasonal flavors).  I quickly encounter the mix-ins which I saw below the surface.  There are pear pieces and oatmeal crisp pieces.  They are both about the same size.  The pear chunks are quite substantial.  Often the pear was a bit frozen at first, but if I let it warm up in my mouth a bit before chewing, it was quite flavorful.  The oatmeal was quite good as well.  This pint does indeed have a pie-a-la-mode feel to it.

I liked this pint.  The occasionally frozen pear pieces kept me from liking it as much as the previous two pints, but it is still quite good and pear-themed pints are so rare.  I enjoyed this Winter Collection from McConnell's.  I liked the Blood Orange the best, then the Vanilla Grapefruit and then this Winter Pear Crisp pint.  It was fun to get some excellent and uncommon fruit-themed flavors in this coldest part of the winter.








No comments:

Post a Comment