Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Fields Forever

 

Fields Forever - Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream

Today's flavor is from the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery.  This is their Fields Forever flavor.  This is a strawberry buttermilk flavor and is a new flavor from them this summer.  See the instagram posting here.  The flavor name is, of course, a reference to the Beatles classic which is so well known that I doubt there are many people who have to ask if there are strawberries in this.  The use of buttermilk here is to cut or mute the strawberry which can be quite strong and sweet in isolation.  I have see the strawberry-buttermilk combination before from Jeni's.  See that review for a discussion of many other things that I have seen ice cream brands combine with strawberry (cream cheese, vinegar, rhubarb, etc).  Let's see how this flavor from Milkjam compares.

After opening the pint, the ice cream has the expected pink color with a little bit of roughness on the top from taking off the lid.  With the first spoonful, I taste the strawberry flavor and it is quite delicious.  I do not specifically taste the buttermilk (or its aftertaste) which tells me that the right amount has been used to blend with and partially mute the strong flavor of strawberry.  It's a very good blend.  The texture has a little bit of roughness that I saw on the top, but it is still soft enough to scoop easily.  I think it is just dense with strawberries.  This is a mostly homogeneous pint.  I do see a little bit of color variation from tiny pieces of strawberry, but I don't notice the pieces once they are inside my mouth.

This is a solid pint of strawberry ice cream from Milkjam.  The buttermilk here is just for flavor balance so don't be afraid.  It is still going to have "kid appeal" meaning that people that like less complex flavors would still enjoy it.  Check it out if you are at Milkjam and are in the mood for strawberry.


 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment