Friday, September 25, 2020

Talenti - Strawberry Hibiscus

 

Strawberry Hibiscus - Strawberry Hibiscus Sorbet with a Hibiscus Swirl

Today's flavor comes from Talenti Gelato and is called Strawberry Hibiscus.  This is a sorbet and is a relatively new flavor as it was introduced earlier in 2020  I have had hibiscus in ice cream once before from McConnell's.  It has a cranberry-like or elderberry-like flavor which surprised me a bit because it's a flower and not a fruit.  Here it is mixed with strawberry so maybe like a berry-blend flavor-wise.  Let's see how this turns out.

Unscrewing the lid, I see a three spokes of red mix-ins against a pink base.  I have seen this pattern before from Talenti -- it looks like the flux capacitor from the back to the future movies.  I will make sure not to exceed 88 mph when eating this ice cream.  Digging in, the sorbet has a good texture.  I can tell it does not contain cream, but it still has a good texture.  The flavor is mostly strawberry to my taste buds, but I can tell that it is not just plain strawberry.  Even though there is a swirl, it's hard for me to isolate the hibiscus flavor exactly because it is also a berry-like flavor but it blends well with the strawberry.  The blend has a deeper and slightly more tart flavor than the usual strawberry base.

This is fun and interesting sorbet from Talenti.  If you have never had hibiscus before, don't be afraid, the hibiscus just provides an interesting twist on the strawberry flavor.  Fruit sorbets always make me feel like summer and with fall upon us, I suppose we are entering the wrong season for this.  That said, with winters so long in Minnesota, a little reminder of summer is sometimes in order.

 





 

3 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    Can you remember where you got this as a member of East Metro Foodies says it's not Available at Cub or Hyvee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... Target, Lunds, Cub and Hyvee are the possibilities. Maybe Kowalskis. I will keep my eye out and let you know if I see it again.

      Delete
    2. This is a late follow-up, but for what it's worth, I just say this at the Fresh Thyme in Vadnais Heights (Co Rd E & 35E).

      Delete