Saturday, March 20, 2021

Talenti - Chocolate Pretzel

Chocolate Pretzel - Layers of Salted Pretzel Gelato, Chocolatey Waffle Cone Pieces, Salted Pretzel Sauce, Vanilla Gelato and Chocolate Flakes

Talenti Gelato has new layers flavors for 2021!   An article about the release is here.  Their website has had these flavors for a while, but I haven't been able to find them in local grocery stores until recently.  I found this flavor at the Cub in Eagan, but since then I have started to see them pop up at the Cub in Saint Paul, the Target in the Midway and even the Lund's in Highland.  So, they should pop up locally eventually.  Today's flavor is called Chocolate Pretzel where the five layers are salted pretzel gelato, chocolate waffle cone pieces, salted pretzel sauce, vanilla gelato and chocolate chunks.  Let's check it out.

Unscrewing the lid, I see an extra seal to peel back.  This is the first time I have seen that from Talenti.  I like the extra seal, although this particular seal is a bit clumsy to peel back.  Like other layers flavors, I only see the top layer of the pint from the top which in this case is a salted pretzel gelato.  This layer looks interesting.  Not only has the base been steeped in pretzels during the processing, it looks like the pretzels have been incompletely filtered out.  There are nice crumb-sized pretzel pieces immersed in this base.  At this point, I cut out a 'slice' of the pint for the benefit on the pictures below.  Interesting in these slice pictures is how thick the two interior mix-in layers are (the waffle cone pieces and the pretzel sauce).  In many layers pints, this middle layer is very thin and blended, but here it looks like there will be quite a lot of waffle cone pieces to enjoy.

Ok, time to finally dig in!  The salted pretzel gelato is quite tasty.  The pretzel flavor is not too strong, but it is very delicious and I liked the texture of all the pretzel crumbs inside.  The waffle cone pieces are quite delicious as well.  What I noticed about the salted pretzel sauce was the primarily the salt, but that was a fun twist to the flavor of the waffle cone pieces.  The pieces on the bottom provided a bit of chocolate into the mix and the layer of vanilla kept all the other flavors from becoming too overwhelming.

This is a very successful layers flavor from Talenti Gelato which I really enjoyed.  I thought the waffle cone pieces trumped the pretzels as the dominant flavor of the pint, but it was all very delicious.  As with other layers pints, it is up to you as to how to get everything mixed up.  Cutting out the slice works great for me, but I admit that's a bit weird for those not taking pictures.  I think simply scooping it out of the jar into another bowl would work really well.  It allows you to sample all the layers without fully blending them.

 


 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment