Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Jeni's - Texas Sheet Cake

Texas Sheet Cake - Non-dairy Dark Chocolate Frozen Dessert with Chocolate Cake Crumbles and Bittersweet Fudge

I am still working through the non-dairy flavors from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream that I used to fill out my online orders of their excellent White House Chocolate Chip and Everything Bagel releases.  Today's flavor is called Texas Sheet Cake.  I bought this online, so I do not believe that this flavor is available in local grocery stores.  According to this article, a Texas Sheet Cake is a German Chocolate Cake cooked in a flat sheet pan or jelly roll pan.  I have not had a Texas-Sheet-Cake-based flavor before.  I have seen it, though.  It is one of the signature flavors of Lick Ice Creams of Austin Texas which I sampled a shipment of last year, but I did not include that flavor in my shipment.  If I order from Lick again, I'll have to check this out out.  Back to today's flavor.  This is a non-dairy flavor from Jeni's so it uses their dark chocolate non-dairy dessert (similar to their Dark Chocolate Truffle I presume) as a base with a chocolate cake piece mix-ins and a swirl of bitttersweet fudge.  Looks interesting.

Removing the lid, I see the brown color of the chocolate base with a very nice looking fudge swirl across the top of the pint.  I like this type of presentation when I open up a pint.  Digging in, the base does taste a lot like Jeni's Dark Chocolate Truffle flavor (link above).  It's good and the cocoa-and-coconut cream flavor tastes quite natural.  As I continue eating, there quite a few chocolate cake pieces down below which add more chocolatey-ness and the fudge swirl provides a lot of chocolate as well.  Lot's of chocolate to like here.

This is a solid non-dairy chocolate flavor from Jeni's.  It's got the same delicious chocolate base as Dark Chocolate Truffle plus chocolatey mix-ins.  So, if you have dairy issues or are on a non-dairy kick, then this is a very fine chocolate-plus flavor to try.  That said, if you like dairy, I found Jeni's Blackout Chocolate Cake flavor to be an extra decadent version of the same chocolate-in-chocolate idea.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment