Sunday, January 31, 2021

Jeni's - White House Chocolate Chip

We have a new president and he likes ice cream!  To celebrate, Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream of Columbus, Ohio made a limited batch flavor called White House Chocolate Chip to celebrate Joe Biden's favorite ice cream order: two scoops of chocolate chip on a waffle cone.  Jeni's is no stranger to politics and ice cream.  Last April, Nancy Pelosi was on the Late Late Show with James Corden and showed off a freezer filled with Jeni's Ice Cream (and sorbets) (twitter link here).  To be fair, Trump likes ice cream too, here is Obama at the local Grand Ole Creamery in 2014, and an article about presidents in general liking ice cream -- dating all the way back to Thomas Jefferson's own ice cream recipe.  Jeni's makes great ice cream, so I jumped at the chance at ordering this limited batch flavor online.  I did get my order in, but the flavor sold out before it was even shipped to me, so it's not available anymore.  I am still eager to check it out for myself, though.

On to the ice cream!  The pint somes in this nice baby blue colored carton with the flavor name in this all-caps serif font.  It reminds me a bit of the color and typeface used for Air Force One.  After removing the lid, I see the white vanilla base with lots of small chocolate chip speckles visible.  It looks like a typical vanilla chocolate chip pint at this point.  Digging in, the chocolate chip and chocolate-covered waffle cone mix-ins are larger and more dense than I would originally guess.  I can still taste the vanilla in the base, but the mix-ins deliver a lot of chocolate flavor.  The waffle cone pieces are quite crunchy as well.  This is very dense.  I find myself chewing a lot.

This is an amazing pint of ice cream.  I was just expecting vanilla chocolate chip, but Jeni's went overboard with the mix-ins.  There are packed in very densely and they are delicious. But, alas the flavor is gone already.  I am very happy that I was able to get my order in before they sold out, but I think this should be a regular flavor.  Even if they had to rename it to make it less 'presidential'.  Whatever your politics are, this is good stuff.





 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment