Sunday, January 3, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Bad Grandpa

 

Bad Grandpa - Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Minneapolis' Milkjam Creamery has four new flavors for January (instagram link here).  I am liking all the pre-packaged pints from Milkjam during the pandemic.  In previous years, I have had trouble finding the new flavors they are promoting in their scoop shop in pints but the takeout/curbside emphasis this past year has changed that.  I picked up all four flavors and will be reviewing them shortly.  The theme this month is old flavors to celebrate their fifth anniversary.  Today's flavor is called Bad Grandpa (instagram link here).  It is a blueberry cheesecake flavor.  I googled the flavor name and I guess it is probably a reference to the movie of the same name in the Jackass franchise.  That movie was actually nominated for an Academy Award for Makeup and Hairstyling for turning Johnny Knoxville into a bad grandpa (it got beat out by the Dallas Buyers Club).  OK, enough about movies, let's get to the ice cream!

Opening the pint, the blueberry cheesecake base has a magenta color and I can see blueberries mixed in already.  Digging in, the blueberry flavor is very delicious!  Not all blueberry bases have a strong flavor, but this one does.  It's very flavorful.  The blueberry mix-ins add to this flavor.  Also embedded in the mix are hunks of graham cracker -- representing the crust of a piece of cheesecake.  This is not noticeably a 'cheesecake' flavor -- no mix-ins or specific cream cheese flavor and it is not super dense.  That said, it is possible that cream cheese blended into the base is making it a bit thicker than it otherwise would be.

This is an excellent blueberry flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  I wanted to say that it is the best blueberry flavor that I have ever had.  I checked my archives and I had said the same thing about Izzy's old Blueberry Cheesecake flavor that I had almost exactly a year ago.  Collecting my thoughts, they are both really amazing.  Izzy's had separated out the blueberry from the cheesecake with a swirl while this pint blends the two into the same base.  But since I wrote that review last year, Izzy's has switched to factory-made pints only with a much smaller flavor list and this flavor is no longer on their menu.  So, if you want excellent blueberry cheesecake ice cream, you have to get this flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  It is so good!


 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment