Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Sebastian Joe's - Chocolate Coyote

Chocolate Coyote - Chocolate Ice Cream flavored with Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper
 

I stopped Sebastian Joe's on Franklin & Hennepin a couple of weeks ago on one of my ice cream runs and picked up a couple of pints.  That area of Minneapolis is also home to Bebe Zito and Milkjam Creamery so it's convenient to visit all three in one trip.  Today's flavor is Chocolate Coyote.  They actually didn't have enough for a full pint, so one of my pictures is missing below, but I was able to eat enough to write a review.  This is a chocolate ice cream flavored with cinnamon and cayenne pepper.  This type of spicy chocolate is often known as "mexican chocolate" and I have had several versions of this from brands like McConnell's, Steve's and Häagen-Dazs plus more complex variants from Izzy's (with orange), Jeni's (with rosé) and even a previous Sebastian Joe's flavor (with pretzels).  Let's see how this flavor compares.

Opening the container, the chocolate ice cream is a fairly dark brown color.  Digging in, I taste the cinnamon right away.  It is a strong and hot cinnamon -- like what is found in red hot candy or a stick of Big Red chewing gum.  Then I taste the chocolate which is quite delicious.  The cayenne pepper blended quite well with the cinnamon.  This is the hottest cinnamon-chocolate pint that I have had, but it still feels like the flavor of cinnamon and not hot pepper. So, the pepper here serves to amplify the cinnamon in the mix.

This is a delicious and hot implementation of a spicy chocolate from Sebastian Joe's.  As I mentioned above, this is like a very spicy cinnamon without feeling like super-spicy hot pepper.  I really enjoy this blend.  This is for those that like their mexican chocolate on the spicy side.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment