Friday, February 26, 2021

Sebastian Joe's - White Licorice

White Licorice - Vanilla Ice Cream flavored with Black Licorice
 

Today, I return to Sebastian Joe's for their White Licorice flavor.  I bought it at their scoop shop in the Lowry Hill neighborhood of Minneapolis.  I asked the scooper what white licorice was and they explained to me that the flavor was black licorice but that it was blended into a vanilla base -- so it looks white.  Interesting.  The closest flavor to this that I have had in the past was an Izzy's flavor from their scoop shop days called Black Licorice.  Let's see how vanilla in the mix changes things.

Removing the lid, the top of the pint has an off white color.  I think I might see hints of some light marbling in there but it could be how it was packed into the container.  Digging in, I taste the licorice right away.  Yes, the color is white but licorice is a strong flavor which can overpower almost anything.  I do notice the effect of the vanilla at the end of every spoonful.  There is a little bit of muting of the licorice flavor.  That could also be the milk and cream playing this role.

This is a solid implementation of a creamy licorice flavor from Sebastian Joe's.  It is not quite as intense as the old Izzy's Black Licorice flavor, but this is still quite potent.  I checked Sebastian Joe's full flavor list and they only have a white licorice flavor -- no 'black' version, so this is their flavor for those that like licorice.  Black licorice is a very polarizing flavor.  People tend to either love it or hate it.  If you are a black-licorice-lover in Minneapolis, this is the flavor to try now that Izzy's has a smaller list of available flavors.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment