Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Ben & Jerry's - PB Over the Top

PB Over the Top - Chocolate Ice Cream with Peanut Butter Swirls & Peanut Butter Cups Topped with Mini-Peanut Butter Cups and Chocolatey Ganache

Today I am reviewing another one of Ben & Jerry's new Topped flavors which they have introduced in 2021.  I bought this at the Ben & Jerry's scoop shop on Excelsior Boulevard in Minneapolis.  I would imagine that these flavors would eventually start showing up in other grocery stores, but I have not seen it anywhere else yet.  Today's flavor is called PB Over the Top.  This is basically their chocolate-and-peanut butter topped flavor.  The ice cream is a chocolate base with peanut butter swirls and peanut butter cups.  The top layer is a chocolate ganache with more peanut butter cups.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, I see the top layer of chocolate ganache with several of the peanut butter cups embedded in it.  I also see a bit of the chocolate base along the sides which is a lighter brown color.  I chose to cut through the ganache with a knife at first.  As I've written before, this top layer is fairly easy to scoop once you get into it, but that first dig can be a bit challenging with a dull spoon.  The ganache is quite chocolatey and the peanut butter cups within the ganache are also quite chocolatey with a small amount of peanut butter inside.  See the photos below.  The surface to volume ratio go up for smaller size pieces so smaller the cup the higher the higher the chocolate-to-peanut-butter ratio.  Down below the chocolate base is decent and I do not see any peanut butter swirls.  I think the peanut butter swirls got blended into the base.  The base is a little rich for just simple chocolate, so it is probably a chocolate-peanut-butter base.  Also down below are more of these chocolate-heavy peanut butter cups.

These topped layers are fun.  There's a lot of different ingredients and it is fun to dig through them all.  Overall, the flavor combination here is a bit chocolate-heavy.  There is only a little bit of peanut butter in each cup and the peanut butter swirl got blended into the chocolate.  You can still taste peanut butter, though and peanut butter and chocolate is a common and winning combination.  Ben & Jerry's classic Peanut Butter Cup flavor has a peanut butter base, so the 'below ice cream' actually reminds me of a Talenti flavor called Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.  Of course, this flavor adds extra fun to that with the ganache-and-peanut-butter-cup top layer.


 







 

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I started posting to an West Metro Facebook Group and a member suggested A to Z Creamery in St. Louis Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up!

      https://www.atozcreamery.com/faq

      It looks like they don't have a scoop shop. They just make small batches which sell out fast. But the flavors look super-interesting. I have them on my radar now. If I happen to be online when something is available, I just might check them out. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete