Monday, February 22, 2021

Sweet Science - Burnt Honey

Burnt Honey - Burnt Honey Ice Cream
 

Today I return to the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream for the next of their Valentine's Day flavors (instagram link here).  The first flavor I reviewed last week and is called Raspberry Fudge Swirl.  Today's flavor is called Burnt Honey.  This is a new flavor for me.  I have had honey flavors before (although rarely by itself) and I have had a couple of burnt sugar flavors, but not burnt honey.  The burnt sugar analogy is interesting because burnt sugar is one of the [candy stages](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_making#Sugar_stages) (along with caramel, taffy, toffee, nougat, fudge).  I wonder if burnt honey is made the same as burnt sugar but starting with honey?  I did find an interesting article on burnt honey.  The flavor can actually be quite bitter!  Caramelizing creates very complex flavors.  Let's see how this tastes!

Opening the pint, the ice cream has a light beige color.  It could pass for a light caramel.  Digging in, the caramelized flavor is quite complex.  It is indeed almost bitter.  I can imagine this might be what the flavor would be like if you burned honey.  Otherwise the texture is smooth and creamy like other Sweet Science bases.  This is a homogeneous flavor with no mix-ins.

This is a very interesting and experimental (at least for me) flavor from Sweet Science.  Caramelized honey has a dark, complex and bitter flavor.  It is definitely not for kids, I could see some adults getting into a flavor like this.  I feel like I am supposed to eat it with something else, but I am not sure what.  I cannot say that I loved this on first try, but it is definitely unique and interesting which scores points with me.  Give it a try if you are curious.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment