Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Jeni's - Lemon Bar

Lemon Bar - Rich Non-Dairy Coconut Cream with Lemon Curd and Shortbread Crust

Recently, I made online purchases from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream of Columbus, Ohio to pick up the White House Chocolate Chip and Everything Bagel flavors -- both of which were excellent.  In order to make those orders, I had to fill out my shipment with other selections and found that I had already tried all of their other available dairy flavors.  So, I have moved onto the non-dairy line.  Today's flavor is called Lemon Bar.  It is a non-dairy coconut cream with a swirl of lemon curd and shortbread crust mix-ins.  This flavor is probably not available at local grocery stores, but I have not double checked Whole Foods.  It would not surprise me if Whole Foods carried a couple of non-dairy Jeni's flavors in a separate section.

Removing the lid and peeling back the protective seal, I see that the coconut cream base has a bright white color and one of the lemon curd swirls is visible.  Digging in, the coconut cream is light and almost fluffy.  I do note a distinct, but mild coconut flavor in this base.  I also note the occasional flake of coconut in the mix as well.  I was not expecting this, but it is a welcome bonus.  The swirl of lemon curd is sweet and tangy and has delicious lemon flavor.  The shortbread crumbs are lightly scattered throughout the pint.  They are noticeable but not as prevalent as I was expecting.

This is a solid non-dairy option of a lemon-curd and cream flavor from Jeni's.  I really like the way they embraced the coconut flavor of the coconut cream (with coconut flake mix-ins!) and did not try to simulate the flavor of a dairy ice cream.  I would recommend this for lemon fans who either have dietary restrictions or are in a non-dairy mood.  For dairy fans, I still recommend the decadent lemon-pie type flavors such as Lemon Meringue Pie from Sweet Science, Atlantic Beach Pie from Jeni's, Lemon & Shortbread Ripple from Pumphouse and KARE 11 Golden Sunrise from Sebastian Joe's.


 






 


No comments:

Post a Comment