Monday, January 6, 2020

Sweet Science - Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie - Vanilla Wafer Ice Cream with Swirls of Lemon Curd and Meringue

The Saint-Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream has two limited-batch flavors for January:  Lemon
Meringue Pie and Espresso Brownie Party.  The exciting thing for me is that unlike the December flavors these are not flavors that I have seen in previous years, so I have new flavors to review!  The first flavor is Lemon Meringue Pie.  I am big fan of lemon as a flavor.  I don't think I have had a lemon pie flavor before.  I have had lemon cookie (Three Twins), lemon bars (Pumphouse), lemon peel (Sebastian Joe's) and lemon sponge cake (Izzy's), but not lemon pie.  I did have meringue once in a non-lemon (paired by Milkjam with a Strawberry Sorbet).  So, I am looking forward to this flavor.

Removing the lid, I see quite a bit!  I see thick creamy lemon curd (pie filling).  I see a couple of pockets of meringue on top -- they look like pockets of marshmallow that I sometimes see.  I see a couple of pieces of vanilla wafer and I see an off-white/yellow ice cream base holding it all together.  I get a bunch of lemon curd/pie filling in my first scoop and it is very good.  Very lemon-y, not too tart and delicious.  It tastes like a good lemon creme pie.  There is enough tartness in the pockets of meringue that I can tell that they are meringue and not just whipped cream, but it not too much.  The vanilla wafers provide a bit of crunch every now and again.  There is so much lemon curd and meringue in there that I don't notice the flavor of the base so much but somehow it is holding it all together.  The pockets of lemon curd and meringue are so large and quite numerous.  I have no idea how they packed them all into this one carton.  This is really delicious.

This is really good stuff.  They It is everything that I would want from a lemon meringue pie ice cream.  It is not as tart as I was expecting it to be, but I think I prefer that.  Sweet Science really hit it out of the park with this one.  Check it out before they cycle it out at the end of the month.






No comments:

Post a Comment