Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Ample Hills - Boozy Breakfast

Boozy Breakfast - Mocha Stout Ice Cream Featuring Other Half Brewery Stout and Pieces of Housemade Oatmeal Cookies
I ordered a four-pint shipment from the Brooklyn-based Ample Hills Creamery!  My orders from Ample Hills usually depend on whether or not I can find four flavors available that I have not tried before.  I was able to find that and pulled the trigger on a shipment.  None of these flavors are available locally in Minnesota.  The first flavor is called Boozy Breakfast.  It is a mocha stout ice cream with oatmeal cookie pieces.  The stout used here is from the Other Half Brewery in Brooklyn.  Stout and chocolate blend surprisingly well as evidenced by two previous pints from Häagen-Dazs and Sweet Science.  I wonder why Ample Hills associates this flavor combination with breakfast?  Anyhow, it should be fun to check it out.

The top of the pint looks quite chocolatey.  It is about a medium brown color -- not that dark, but not as light as I've seen some chocolate bases, either.  Digging in, the base ice cream is quite good.  Contrary to the flavor name, I would not call this 'boozy'.  The stout accents the chocolate and coffee flavors quite well without taking over.  So, don't be afraid if you're not into booze or stout in general.  This is a good flavor blend.  Dispersed throughout the pint are the oatmeal cookie pieces.  These are fun to chew on.  Not the typical flavor of an oatmeal cookie but good nonetheless.

I enjoyed this pint.  Ample Hills is good at blending flavors into their base ice creams in a unique way and this mocha stout base is another good example of that.  The oatmeal cookie mix-ins were decent, but not as good as the ones in their amazing Nonna D's Oatmeal Lace. I do applaud the effort to create a unique mix-in for this flavor, though.  Check it out if you are curious about how well Stout mixes with chocolate.  If you can't get a hold of this flavor, you can try Häagen-Dazs' stout-and-chocolate flavor.  It was my favorite from last year's Spirits Collection.








No comments:

Post a Comment