Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Ample Hills - I Contain Breakfast Foods

I Contain Breakfast Foods - Sweet Cream Ice Cream with a touch of Cinnamon, pieces of Chocolate Donuts and Coffee Cake Crumble
The next pint in my four pint shipment from the Ample Hills Creamery in Brooklyn is called I Contain Breakfast Foods.  It is only available as the shop-specific flavor for their location in Brooklyn Bridge Park -- and occasionally they make it available online.  This is the second breakfast-themed flavor in a row -- the first flavor in my shipment was Boozy Breakfast.  I Contain Breakfast Foods contains a sweet cream base with cinnamon, pieces of chocolate donuts (the breakfast of champions after all) and coffee cake crumble.  Looks good.

But I had to ask:  what kind of a name for an ice cream flavor is "I Contain Breakfast Foods"?  It turns out that it is a Walt Whitman reference.  Whitman's poem Crossing Brooklyn's Ferry refers to Brooklyn as having "ample hills" in its fifth stanza -- which is how this brand got its name.  So, when the New York Public Library was celebrating Whitman's 200th birthday last year, Ample Hills decided to create a new flavor to commemorate the occasion.  This flavor is a reference to another Walt Whitman poem called Song of Myself.  Near the end of the poem is a section that reads:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

... which has gotten a little bit of traction as an online meme.  It's difficult to try to interpret poems (and online memes), so I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

On to the ice cream!  Removing the lid, I see a sizeable air pocket.  I always get a little bummed about this, because I feel like I could have gotten more ice cream.  It's probably not that much and it is also probably a fluke.  The base is darker than the usual sweet cream -- sweet cream is usually white.  It could be the cinnamon or that some of the color has dissolved away from the mix-ins.  The first spoonful is thick and creamy.  I do taste some cinnamon but I also taste some brown sugar and a little bit of chocolate.  At first the mix-ins are crumb-sized and numerous but as I dig my way down, I start to encounter larger pieces.  The larger pieces are quite soft and chewy.  The flavors of two cake-like mix-ins are not too strong -- I taste mild chocolate in the donut ones and mainly brown-sugar in the coffee-cake ones -- but they did blend well.

I liked this ice cream.  The breakfast pastry mix-ins were not too strong or distinctive but they blended well with the cinnamon in the base ice cream.  This is not a home run flavor for me compared to other Ample Hills flavors but it is still tasty.  If you are at their scoop shop in Brooklyn Bridge Park, check it out.







No comments:

Post a Comment